Travelling with MerseyrailShare
In crowded spaces, wear a face covering out of respect for others unless exempt.
You are able to travel on our network to visit indoor and outdoor destinations, hospitality, friends and families and to go shopping.
Please see below what has changed at Merseyrail to keep your journey as safe as possible and click here for the latest travel advice.
To read the complete government advice on travel in England click here.
For those using the Merseyrail network we have put a number of measures in place to make sure journeys are as safe and easy as possible. Read on to find out more about what's new.
We are cleaning trains and stations throughout the day, every day. From specialist anti-microbial cleaning products to increasing litter picking in our trains and around our stations. We have added additional cleaning measures to keep those that need to travel safe that also include:
- Consistent, round the clock cleaning including overnight deep cleans.
- A second round of consistent cleaning is conducted by our on-board cleaners during service.
- Specialist microbial cleaners that kill pathogens on surfaces.
- All touchpoints in stations including escalator handrails are cleaned regularly every day.
- Additional quality assurance procedures and spot checks to ensure that our cleaning processes are consistent and completed to the highest standard.
- Increased cleaning teams working on weekends in response to when more passengers are travelling.
- Trains are running every 15 minutes on the Chester line until 19:00 then every 30 minutes until the end of service, Monday to Saturday.
- Trains are running on the Southport and Hunts Cross lines every 20 minutes from the start to the end of service, Monday to Saturday.
- On the Ormskirk, Kirkby, West Kirby and New Brighton lines trains are running every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday until 19:30, then every 30 minutes until the end of service.
- The Ellesmere Port line which will continue to operate a 30-minute service all day.
- There will also be a 30-minute service in operation on Sundays across the Merseyrail network.
- As lockdown eases the number of passengers on each train is being closely monitored so that 6 car services can be timetabled where they are needed most and additional train services added to the timetable where possible.
Travel advice and information is displayed across the network.
Don't take our word for it, below are what some of the people who have travelled with us in the last 12 months have had to say:
"The station staff at Moorfields were probably the most friendliest and nicest staff I have ever come across on the whole UK railway network. From the gate staff to the face mask compliance officers, who by the way were extremely polite to the people regarding face coverings, they were absolutely fantastic!" - Stephen
"Thanks for all your hard work! Travelling to and from work has been clean and calm for myself this last 4 months!" - Shell, Facebook
"Your cleaning staff do a fantastic job. The trains have been spotless and I travel on them every weekday for work." - James, Facebook
"I felt really comfortable on the train on Saturday. There weren't a lot of people on and it was spotlessly clean." - Passenger Survey Feedback
"Your staff have been incredible to keep us all safe. Please accept my sincere thanks for your fantastic service. I have used the Merseyrail trains now for I think over 60 years." - Angela, NHS, Worker Aintree
"Just wanted to say thank you to everyone at Merseyrail. I work in a hospital and I reply on the train on a daily basis. Thank you for keeping it running during the crisis, everyone at Merseyrail has been exceptional." - Jeremy, NHS Worker
"I had to travel on Merseyrail to visit my daughter and I'm most impressed with the way we're being looked after. I'm pleased that most passengers and staff are wearing masks. Keep up the good work." - Sharon
"During the 2-3 months I used the train they were spotless and really changed my opinion of Merseyrail." - Tyler
Merseyrail Flexi - Ticket
To assist with social distancing, and to support passengers who are now travelling differently, we have introduced the Merseyrail Flexi - Ticket. with just one visit to the ticket office you can buy 3 return journeys valid for travel over 7 days. It is available to buy now from any staffed station and ticket machines. To find out more about this new ticket type click here.
Contactless Payments and Online Tickets
We are minimising queues at ticket offices and reducing the chances of our passengers and staff handling cash by encouraging people to use contactless payments where they can.
If you are not using contactless payments where possible please use one of our ticket vending machines.
The limit of contactless payments has been raised to £45 nationally to facilitate this
The all-area Day Saver ticket is now available to buy online here. Day Savers are valid for unlimited travel on the Merseyrail network, only excluding peak hours 06.31 - 09.29 Monday - Friday.
For passengers travelling with Merseyrail regulary the Merseyrail Only Railpass is also now available to buy online. You first need a MetroCard, available from a Merseyrail ticket office, and then you can buy all your future tickets online. Click here to see how it easy it is to buy your Merseyrail Only Railpass online.
From Monday 19th July the majority of lockdown restrictions will come to an end and face coverings will no longer be a legal requirement on public transport.
However, we do expect passengers to follow government guidance and wear a face covering in crowded spaces out of respect for others unless exempt.
To learn more about face coverings click here.
Please note, the fastest way of knowing when you’re at risk of coronavirus is via the government's track and trace app. Learn more here.