From Monday 18 May, Merseyrail will be increasing services on the network, including reinstating some services before 07:00 and after 19:00, Monday – Saturday. Services will continue to run between approximately 08:00 – 20:00 on Sundays.
Refunds and CompensationShare
If you have decided to return your monthly or annual season ticket including Railpass products due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you should follow the instructions below. Current Government instructions on social distancing mean we are dealing with a significant increase in refund claims with less staff and limited access to ticket offices meaning refunds are taking longer than normal
These arrangements apply to all season ticket products including Railpass products of one-month duration or longer and are based on long-standing rules set out in the National Rail Conditions of Travel.
If you hold a ticket obtained under our corporate season ticket scheme, please see the email you should have received from your scheme co-ordinator with detailed instructions.
Things to remember
It’s important to remember that, in effect, a season ticket or Railpass offers ‘free travel periods’ based on the alternative of buying other tickets. For annual tickets this is roughly two months’ free travel. For monthly tickets we take away what has been used in weeks and odd days. So, the amount you will receive back depends on the specific circumstances. The longer you have held the ticket the less of refund you will be entitled to.
Annual 2 Zone Adult Railpass
Valid from 18/06/19, returned for refund from 17/03/20.
Usage = 9 months
Monthly cost of same ticket = £68.60 x 9 = £617.40
Refund = (£686-£617.40) - £10 admin fee = £58.60.
Monthly all zone Adult Railpass
Valid from 11/03/20, returned for refund from 17/03/20
Usage = 1 week
Weekly cost of same ticket £34.40
Refund = (£120.10 - 34.40) - £10 admin fee = £75.70.
You are only eligible for a refund if:
- You have held your annual season ticket for less than 10 months.
- You have held your monthly season ticket for less than 3 weeks.
- It’s also important to remember that the £10 admin fee will be deducted which may result in little or no refund amount being issued.
- Please consider that in effect, a season ticket or Railpass offers ‘free travel periods’ based on the alternative of buying other tickets. For annual tickets this it’s roughly two months free travel. For monthly tickets we take away what has been used in weeks and odd days. So, the amount you will receive back depends on the specific circumstances. The longer you have held the ticket the less of refund you will be entitled to.
- In line with the National Conditions of Travel, you will be charged a £10 administrative fee, which will be deducted from your refund before it is paid. This covers the costs of processing and issuing your refund.
- If you hold a paper ticket you will receive your refund via the method of payment you used to pay for your ticket. If you paid by cash or your ticket is held on a Walrus/Metro Card, please include your bank account number, sort code and account name with your claim so that we can refund you by BACS. If you paid by warrant, approved refunds will be paid back into the relevant warrant account.
- You must indicate your last date of travel when you contact us to make a claim. In line with current Department for Transport guidelines, the earliest date your refund can be backdated to is the 17th March 2020. From the 11th May 2020 this will change and mean that season ticket refunds will only be backdated a maximum of 56 days from the date of surrender.
- The only exception to this is as set out in condition 40.4 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel and relates to certified sickness. Refunds will be backdated beyond the periods set out above on production of valid evidence of illness. See to the National Rail Conditions of Travel for further information.
- Please bear with us, our refund processes were not designed for all customers to claim a refund at the same time. We are working hard to meet the increased demand for refunds. We will process your claim as quickly as possible and we really appreciate your patience whilst we work through this challenging situation. We are currently processing an paying all refunds within 28 days.
How to claim your refund
I hold a paper ticket
- Paper ticket holders should take a picture of their ticket on a well-lit background and send it to [email protected] You must also include your photocard number, house or flat door number and postcode. The quality of the image must be such that all text/numbers on the front of the ticket can be easily read. The ticket shown in the image must clearly be cut in half down the centre to prevent further use. Images that are not clear, do not show a ticket that is clearly cut in half, or lack the information requested above will be rejected.
- You must retain both halves of your cut ticket until such time as you have received your refund OR you have been contacted by Merseyrail with further information.
- Please indicate the last date on which you used your ticket
I hold a Metro Card or Walrus card
- Metro or Walrus card holders should take a picture of their card and photocard on a plain, well-lit background and send it to [email protected] The quality of the image must be such that the 18 digit number on the rear of the card can be easily read. The card shown in the image must clearly be cut in half down the centre to prevent further use. Images that are not clear or do not show a card that is clearly cut in half will be rejected.
- Your ticket will also be electronically blocked, meaning you cannot use it again in the future. £1 will be added to the refund amount paid to you, to cover the cost of re-purchasing another Metro Card.
- You must retain both halves of your card until such time as you have received your refund OR you have been contacted by Merseyrail with further information.
- Please indicate the last date on which you used your ticket
- Please include your bank account number, sort code and account name with your claim so that we can refund you by BACS.
Trio and Solo tickets
For any PaperSOLO and TRIO related enquiries please contact Merseytravel in the first instance by emailing [email protected]
For SOLO Smart cardenquiries(Walrus or Metro) please email [email protected]
I need more information
- In the event you need more information or support please contact @merseyrail on Twitter or via Whatsapp on 0151 555 1111.