At The Station
- All of our network's 66 stations have been awarded the coveted Secure Station status. We were named the UK's first fully secure rail network by the Department for Transport in January 2009. A “Secure Station” must comply with prescribed standards such as station design; staff management and training and customer facilities that enhance station security such as CCTV coverage, Enhanced Lighting, Safe Zones and Help Points. To gain accreditation, an independent survey has to be carried out relating to personal security and people’s perception of security at the station. This assessment is done by the British Transport Police on behalf of the Department for Transport.
- All 36 Merseyrail controlled Car Parks have been accredited to the Safer Parking Scheme since 2010. This scheme is managed by the British Parking Association and sponsored by the Department for Transport in association with the British Transport Police.To gain accreditation to this initiative Merseyrail has put in place measures that help to deter criminal activity and anti-social behaviour, thereby doing everything we can to prevent crime and reduce the fear of crime in our parking areas; crime in all of our car parks remains very low.
- All of our stations apart from Bache, Capenhurst, Little Sutton, Overpool and Ellesmere Port have a member of staff on duty every day from before the first train arrives until after the last train leaves.
- There are Help Points on all platforms and in some Booking Halls. These are linked to our Control Centre where fully trained staff will be able to provide service information and help in any emergency situations.
- All public areas on stations are covered by state of the art CCTV cameras and images are monitored by control centre staff 24 hours a day.
On The Train
- Guards (and drivers) are on duty on board all of our trains to carry out operational tasks and also to assist passengers if they have any problems or concerns whilst on board our trains.
- All of our trains have CCTV cameras onboard which record clear concise images of the highest quality; these images can be used for evidential purposes if required.
- British Transport Police officers and Carlisle Security staff patrol on train and stations 24 hours a day 7 days a week.